Monday, November 29, 2010

BP2_Image Spark

Imagespark is a creative tool that helps you collect, discover, share, tag and converge images that inspire you and your work.                            
                                                                                                                   - Imagespark website
My research of Web 2.0 tools was an interesting adventure!  There are so many cool tools and applications available to use in the classroom and it was hard to begin with just one!  However, I did manage to find a tool that I believe would be a great creative resource for me and for my students.

The tool I discovered was Imagespark.  Imagespark allows users to find, upload and share imagery to inspire their creative work.  I thought this would be a resource my students could use to spark ideas and concepts in art.  The tutorial was a simple movie illustrating basic operations (finding/sharing images) and how to create a mood boards to inspire your art.

The mood boards are areas to capture images that you may find or images that you may have on file.  I love photography, images and color!  I love the collage layout of the site and its collaborative nature.  I found the application simple and user friendly, so if I can use it, I know my students can do it! (I don’t want to use anything I have to read three manuals to understand!)

My photo of Multnomah Falls in Oregon.
Students can use Imagespark, Flickr or their own images to create a library that is uniquely their own.  Students are able to digitize their mind maps or idea banks to generate authentic, personal art. This application could be used in a student’s personal learning environment to help get the wheels turning or to help organize ideas or thoughts in the creative process.
Another aspect of Imagespark is the community board.  This shared mood board is a collection of images to select images submitted by users that you might add to your own mood board…very cool! 

My photo on the community board.
I am finally realizing the consumer and producer elements of the Web 2.0 world!  I didn’t just sit back and take the images; I actually uploaded an image to the community board.  This left me with an awesome sense of accomplishment!  To see an image that I had taken on a site with contributors from around the globe was amazing to me!


My photo is tagged!

I thought this application could give my students that same sense of wonder!  I am constantly telling them to draw inspiration from the world around them, as they create their own art.  The mood boards can remind them of what they like or love and hopefully this will act as a catalyst or springboard for meaningful art.
 I can see them using the mood board to upload their own images and using the community board to select images they find interesting.  The fact that images can come from multiple sources makes it unique.


Today, I introduced Imagespark to my students and challenged them to create their own mood boards. Hopefully, this will spark their imagination and encourage creativity in their work.  
I am anxious to hear their experiences with this creative tool and if they find it useful. Even if you are not an artist, I believe the mood boards could be used as a creative writing prompt, inspire music or compare photography styles form around the world.  
Try it; I am sure you’ll like it!
My mood board with my selected images!



                                           *Screen shots from Flickr and Imagespark sites.

2 comments:

  1. Tracye,
    This tool is an excellent example of creativity and collaboration working together! I have also heard the description "prosumer," the combination of consumer and producer. Many of the web 2.0 tools enable this for students.

    Your comment "...I believe the mood boards could be used as a creative writing prompt, inspire music or compare photography styles form around the world" prompts thought about the integration across Language Arts Curriculum or even global opportunities from worldwide classroom participation.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog! I have never heard of the prosumer term before your post. I look forward to being a more skilled prosumer in the future!
    Thanks for posting!
    TSalt

    ReplyDelete