Saturday, December 4, 2010

BP4_WIX

Create your own stunning free portfolio with this simple-to-use Flash template. 
With no downloads or programming skills needed.  
This design is waiting to present your creativity to the world.                
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            -Wix website
  

In my quest to find the perfect Web 2.0 too for my students, I found Wix!  Wix is a wonderful tool that is easy to use and produces 
professional looking results for showcasing your creativity through a website, portfolio or journal.

The whole purpose of this quest is to help my students create personal learning environments that would integrate tech ideas they would actually use.  I think Wix is the tool that will help them organize their artwork and publish it for others to use.  I would like for my students to set up a Wix portfolio and have the opportunity to critique, collaborate and view the works of their peers.

Wix has a short tutorial to get you started and plenty of streamlined icons to direct you in your creative journey.  Users may develop their own concepts or use a template to create a final product. 
One feature that I liked about Wix is that users can select a template that matches their tech skills!  Differentiation at its best!  My students will be able to select simple, medium or advanced templates to develop their portfolios.
 
Initially, I chose to work with a medium template to illustrate how Wix works.  This template was very cool, but a little bit above my skill set right now.  So, I chose to tackle another template, an art journal, with much more success!

With my selected template, I was able to edit the content to make it my own! I played around with fonts, backgrounds and clipart images provided by Wix. Lastly, I uploaded pictures of my own artwork and photographs to make my art journal unique and personal.  I was more than pleased with the final result!  It looks awesome and I am able to direct people to my very own site to see my work…cool!

What can you do with Wix? Maybe students can create websites to learn about each other! Forget the dreaded paper and pencil scavenger hunt and have them create something authentic! Students could use Wix to showcase creativity, to tell a story or teach you something! Imagine that!


Check out my journal on Wix!



4 comments:

  1. Tracye,
    I don't know how I missed WIX.com, but I am glad that you didn't. Thank you so much for posting your example. I can see your point about how WIX can be useful in your classroom and getting children excited about self discovery utilizing this tool. I taught emotions, processing and self discovery to juvenile detainees ten years ago and wished that web 2.0 tools such as wix existed then.

    I did go visit wix's website and saw the many possibilities to create almost a living scrapbook. They do have many options for anyone to benefit from. I plan to list it and use it for my personal and professional projects. Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracye,
    I love Wix.com. I have my portfolio on there right now (http://www.wix.com/designaficionada/creativemethodphotography). This tool is great for people who have little to no programming experience. I think this would be great for your art students. They could make their portfolios online or you could even make an interactive class page for each of your classes to display for parents to visit online and see what their child has been up to. There are so many templates to choose from. I played on the site for days. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blogging site. You are very creative and you've worked very hard and diligently. Very colorful and detailed. Awesome job Tracye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karenkj,Crystal C. and Shamina!
    Thanks for posting to my blog! I really love WiX! I plan to use it for personal and professional projects. I love taking what I have learned to my students and see them embrace it! They jump right in and we share one syllable thoughts about web tools! Cool! Great! Wow! Neat!

    ReplyDelete