Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 4- The Art of Possibility Chapters 9-12


Image courtesy of Microsoft clipart.


The final chapters of the Art of Possibility do not disappoint.  I found many insightful nuggets to incorporate this school year and many things that will keep me focused and sane throughout each day.  The first important concept is becoming the board and having the power to transform my thinking.  The idea that ultimately I am in control of everything that I experience in my life is quite revealing.  I thought about a Monopoly game, and how we always thought the game pieces gave us so much power that we fought over the top hat or the shoe each game.  In reality, according to the Zanders, the game board has the power.  The game board determines what the game pieces will do, how far they will go and helps to determine the winner. I discovered that as a game piece I have limited power, but as the board I make room for all of the moves to happen.
The next novel idea was the concept of vision.  Vision, defined by the authors, means to invent and sustain frameworks that bring forth possibility.  After reading this, I realize I need vision for my classroom.
In the Bible it states, that without vision the people perish. This made me think about the vision I have for my students when they come to my class. What possibilities are in store for them based upon the vision I have cast for the year?  Vision goes beyond goal setting and reaches a wider range of thought.
And finally, taking risks are necessary for anything great to occur!  I believe I take some risks, but maybe I need to take more.  I constantly encourage my students to take risks, but now I need to be willing to experience the same possibilities. The inclusion of the Marianne Williamson poem is the icing on the cake.
I love this poem and everything it represents.  A couple of years ago, I posted it in my room as inspiration for my students, and I believe I will post it again so my students can imagine the potential that is within each of them.  Another school year brings forth so much and I am excited about experiencing it with fresh eyes and a fresh heart!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to begin the school year~with fresh eyes and a fresh heart!!! This is such perfect timing for each of us to find that risk-taker within us, dig deep and begin to experience the possibilities and let those great things occur and happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The verse that came to my mind was "Write the vision, make it plain..."
    Having vision is absolutely imperative for progress. Getting others to "enroll" in your vision...your students will be the work of the year. You seem to be going at it form the right angle. You are positive and you are willing to take more risks. I have to work at taking more risks myself. I challenge my students to do so, but recognize that I have let my fears limits me. The window of possibility is wide open for you Tracye!!!

    ReplyDelete