Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week3-The Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8




Image courtesy of Microsoft clipart
I didn’t realize I needed to wear steel-toed boots when I am reading The Art of Possibility!  I am noticing I am coming face to face with the issues that may be in my life and in my classroom…yikes!  I am a perfectionist to some extent and can take things seriously when given the opportunity!  I found myself looking in the mirror when prompted to lighten up and it may light up those around me!   After this revelation, I found myself asking how can I possibly do this and survive in the classroom?   What I did discover is by lightening up; I can become human to my students and connect with them on new levels.  If I give up my pride, it may benefit others and break the hold it has on me. (Almost too deep before the start of school!)
Image courtesy of Microsoft clipart
So, today I plan to live and learn and not take myself too seriously!

The next section that hit me in the gut was learning about my calculating self versus my central self.  The calculating self withdraws and contracts and focuses on his or her immediate needs.  On the other hand, the central self opens and expands, letting things be without fighting against it.  I learned by focusing on my central self, I can let things be without fighting them every step of the way and forcing me to lighten up in the process.
(Revelation, revelation, revelation!)  At times during the school year, we have a tendency to focus on how things should be instead of how things are in any given situation.    I loved how the authors pointed out when our attention is primarily directed to how wrong things are, we lose our power to act effectively. (Another light bulb moment!  It makes me think of my pastor who always tells the congregation about responding versus reacting!  I have a strong mindset at times to REACT, instead of respond.  Responding to an issue means I have thought things over, I am calm and I have solutions!  When I react, I usually have regret.  So, as the school year begins, I will focus more on my central self and less on my calculating self and see what possibilities come my way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tracye,
    I have many of the same feeling you do about these chapters. They really do "hit you in the gut" and make you think about yourself as a person and how that effects others. I applaud your efforts of not taking yourself to seriously. I hope that it brightens up your students as well as brightening up yourself. I also really like your comments about reacting versus responding. That is great way to sum up what the book was talking about. I myself also need to work on responding rather than reacting. Thank you so much for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete