Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week2-The Art of Possibility/ Chapters 1-4

Image courtesy of Zander and Zander

The Art of Possibility generates a great deal of thought after reading even the simplest paragraph.  I am trying to find ways to implement what I am reading to make an impact in my teaching and in my classroom.  I have come away with several nuggets to jumpstart my school year in the art room.  The first light bulb came with the description of the teacher’s role described by the authors.  The teacher role is to help students chip away at barriers that block their abilities and expressions.
I really love this idea of unlocking potential that is within each student, not developing it, but unlocking what is already there.  To me, this means students have value and something special within that is waiting for someone to discover it.

The second gem from the book focuses on the student: A student that is the least engaged may be the most committed member of the group.  I think this speaks volumes about the student-teacher relationship and how we really communicate in the classroom.  For me, it illustrates how I shouldn’t make preconceived notions about the students in my room.  The students that don’t seem too interested may be the very ones that are committed to learning the concepts presented in class.  It shows me that I must find a way to actively engage and reach each student.

I have read various comments made by peers concerning the positive declarations found in the book.  I must say I am one of those people that operate on faith, so concentrate on the positive means I spend less time worrying about things that are out of my hands.  I believe in the university of the possibility and the unfettered imagination of what can be and I hope to bring this change to my students.  We have so many negative things floating around us, why not embrace the positive?

1 comment:

  1. Tracye, I too am energised by the first few chapters of the reading. I am currently trying to come up with a way to incorporate the letter idea from chapter 3 into my classes. Obviously, at a public school I do not have the liberty to reinvent the grading system, but I think both can coexist. There are some other ideas and discussion points from the book that I can't wait to bring to my students. Well... Although energised I am not ready to cut my summer off just yet.

    ReplyDelete